Saturday 23 April 2011

Superbug NDM - 1: A genuine concern or an attempt to sabotage the growing medical tourism in India


Hello folks, I was a bit confused and was wondering what should I write about in my next blog. With this thought, I took my water mug and refilled my water tank to stimulate limited thinking abilities of my ever shrinking mind. And it was then I bothered to check whether the water I had was pure or not! To be precise whether it was NDM - 1 (as discovered by Prof Timothy Walsh) free or not. I certainly was apprehensive.

Now for few minutes, lets just skip the world of microbiology, talk about myself. I , a Delhite, spent most of my childhood playing in the streets and parks of Delhi ( roughly around this time of the year, thanks to our summer vacations) with street taps and hand pumps acting as thirst quenchers (similar sources from where the samples were collected I presume). If such a study can instill fear in my mind then it might very well in the minds of foreign nationals, visiting India as tourists, especially 'Medical tourists'.

And this is what makes Indian government and medical experts suspicious & myself skeptical about the timing, finding, funding and even naming of this study.
  • Firstly the name, NDM - 1 ( New Delhi metallo-β-lactamase 1) itself does the major work when several resistant bacterias are present else where in the world. Many of them were not named after the cities they were found in!!! Come on, Delhi can be associated with good reasons if not deadly!
  • Secondly, funding by EU ( European Union) which is indeed a discourtesy to a nation as a whole because ideally it should have been a joint research with a proper track on local partners. I don't know whether there exists a protocol for such studies bit I am forced to think that even if it would have existed, it wouldn't have been followed.
  • And lastly, as reported in few tabloids, the authors have admitted to have received financial support from pharma majors like GlaxoSmithKline, AstraZeneca and Pfizer through the period of the project. The study authors suggest that only GlaxoSmithKline and AstraZeneca still have strong antibiotic development programmes.
And now some light on the absolute advantage India holds over other major health care destinations (especially UK, home to Lancet, which came up with this controversial study in its journal)

Gaur Farmana Hazoor : ( Kindly Pay Attention..Sir!)

Nature of TreatmentTreatment Approximate Cost in India ($) *Cost in other Major Healthcare Destination ($) *Approximate Waiting Periods in USA / UK (in months)
Open heart Surgery4,500> 18,0009 - 11
Cranio-facial Surgery and skull base4,300> 13,0006 - 8
Neuro-surgery with Hypothermia6,500> 21,00012 - 14
Complex spine surgery with implants4,300> 13,0009 - 11
Simple Spine surgery2,100> 6,5009 - 11
Simple Brain Tumor
-Biopsy
-Surgery
1,000
4,300
> 4,300
> 10,000
6 - 8
Parkinsons
-Lesion
-DBS
2,100
17,000
> 6,500
> 26,000
9 - 11
Hip Replacement4,300> 13,0009 - 11



Cost differentials clubbed with far more better doctors, great people and warm culture makes India the most preferred medical destination.

I am, in my blog, not giving a knee jerk response of rejecting the study findings all together. But what I am trying to bring forward is throwing data / study findings in front of the media and subsequently common people might cause a massive 'hysteria' and it will naturally come across as an attempt to sabotage mental well being of the people ( if not economy by discouraging medical tourism ). There, I am told, are better and cordial ways of carrying out and sharing the survey results without spreading panic!

Indian authorities should make a note of this controversial but enlightening piece of work and irrespectively look to provide basic necessities in a sanitized environment. Additionally, we should have data to throw back at THEM in such scenarios. Considering the fact that we have agencies like National Family Health Survey (NFHS) it is not a tough ask.

Sources :
And related to water, as of now all I can say is :

रहिम पानी राखिए पानी बिन सब सून।
पानी गए न ऊबरैं, मोती मानुस चूर।।




No comments:

Post a Comment